Resting Cat Face

Stop that.

Go away.

Like I said, I’m making an effort to upload more artwork I had in the pipeline before Christmas. 

As always you can buy this print on a T-shirt, bag, pillow, mug, or any number of products available on my Redbubble shop and my Society6 shop.

grumpy-web

♥ My Companion ♥

Christmas is approaching, and with it a flow of costumers to my RedBubble shop. For this occasion I’m putting my sewing work on hold and try to push forward a few more designs to my online shops.

This one is for all of you Firefly and Portal fans out there (a bit of a niche, I know…). You can find it in Redbubble, and also at Society6, another online shop I joined.

My Companion

Hold the press!

I got an exclusive pic of our newest family member posing his new quilt  Winking smile

New ♥

It’s Quilting Time!

20150713_181127

For some time now I’ve been harbouring a growing itch to start experimenting with quilting. It’s a form of design and sewing I’ve never tried, and recently got more and more exposed to it, starting with related Pinterest search results, this inspiring blog I stumbled upon, and just random items I started noticing, online and also in real-life.

So, after it was nesting in me for a while, two months ago I got my chance to try and quilt something. I decided I’ll sew a quilted baby blanket for my newest family member soon to be born. Now that he is all born and healthy (Mazal-Tov cute new nephew!), and I’ve given the present, I can finally share the process and the results here.

an Isosceles triangle!

A baby’s blanket was just what I’ve been waiting for, since it is quite small in size and fits a first attempt at quilting. But, because it’s me, of course I had to upgrade at least a tiny bit, and not to settle for the big-square-blocks frame of a normal person. I decided to go with triangles. Lots and lots of small triangles. I scribbled a pattern (basically an Isosceles triangle), while waiting for Idan to come back from the store with a shiny new rotary cutter (my first!). Then I started brutally cutting through a pile of blue and red leftover fabrics I had. It was tiresome, but the rotary cutter was a very good investment that saved me lots of time.

Ironing :(

When all of the cutting was just about done, came the mind-boggling phase of mixing and matching the parts. This took me a while, and also sent me back to the cutting board to better balance the colours some more, after which came the relaxing sewing phase. Eight rows of thirteen triangles each later, I was almost done.

I cut a backing fabric, and an Acrilan middle layer, and started sewing them together to the front, not before ironing the whole patchwork to make it nice and flat. Then came the top stitching, which gave the blanket a real puffy and nice look.

Cutting the back fabric

The whole process went surprisingly smooth. The mix-matching step was harder than I expected, and I wasn’t sure the combination looked remotely fine until it was sewed, and everything suddenly received shape. The one problem I did face was at the top quilting phase, as the sewing machine kept pulling the layers unequally and forced me to nip some parts. From the little I read online I got the impression that this is a common problem in quilting, and I guess purchasing a walking-foot would help, but it is very expensive and I’m not even sure it would do the job. A walking foot for my 215 Bernina would cost almost as much as a whole new (-yet cheaper and smaller, maybe even second hand-) sewing machine.

All in all, this took about a week of evening work (and a small while later, another evening for sewing the binding). It measures about 70 by 100 cm, and contains 106 triangles. And the most important part: it left me wanting to quilt again.

All finished!

Fabric Bed Rail

Fabric Bed Rail

Last week we leveled up in our sleep arrangements, as we moved our boy from a crib to a bed. On the second day I found out it wasn’t enough to have bed rails on just one side of the bed, as Tom managed to partially fall between the bed and the wall…
After some thought I improvised  a fabric bed rail, using this pretty matrushka (nestling doll) quilted fabric I bought in Japan once upon a time, and never decided what to do with it. 

It looks natural in a child’s room, and is fairly strong and does a good job of preventing him from falling.

Tom fools around in his new bed

Secret Postcards (#3)

Last June I’ve shown you my creations for the previous year’s “The Secret Postcard” project via the annual “Fresh Paint” contemporary art fair, so I figure now is about right to finally post about last year’s postcards…

Last year around the time I made my postcard’s designs, I spent much time researching doll making technics. I haven’t actually made anything substantial with that knowledge yet, but it did make the whole “choosing a subject for my postcards” issue quite easy. 

Both postcards were pencil drawn, colored in with acrylics..

Here is  my first post about The Secret Postcards.

doll making postcard 1

doll making postcard 2

Thursday evening sketching (2)

It’s getting late so I’ll keep this short: just wanted to show you what I’ve sketched today. (previous Thursday evening sketching post)

10 minutes each pencil nudespencil nude

grey paper pencil nudeNude in Copic markers